SUMMARY OVERVIEW OF ALLEGATIONS OF SEXUAL ABUSE BY SATHYA SAI BABA
Now that more of the truth about the massive deceptions and cover-ups around Sathya Sai Baba have been discovered, it is time to point out again the extensive and credible testimony - much of it confirmed by our incisive investigations - and circumstantial evidence about Sathya Sai Baba as a major, serial sexual abuser. As often explained on numerous websites, the number of males who are reported as having been sexually molested by Sai Baba in one way or another is very considerable. There are differences in the extent to which those so involved have reported the facts. Over 20 have written their testimony on the Internet or have been filmed on documentaries stating their experiences. All of these are highly credible witnesses, in whose testimony there are many similarities, though they explain in different ways according to each the particular circumstances involved. They were brave indeed to stand forth, having nothing to gain other than the knowledge that they may have helped protect others from the same experiences. They have been harassed and libeled for their troubles by devotees of Sai Baba in intense denial, especially by Gerald Joe Moreno on a truly fanatical scale.
The credibility of most allegations and descriptions is extremely sound: Why would so many identifiable young men go to the trouble and lengths of writing their detailed testimony on how they were abused sexually by Sathya Sai Baba if this never happened, as Sai VIPs and devotees still wish to believe? Knowing how difficult it is to stand forth as a victim of sex abuse, it is certain that these brave persons are but the tip of a huge iceberg.
Firstly, it is of note that Sathya Sai Baba himself related in two different discourses that boys slept in his locked bedroom apartment: see BOYS SLEEP IN SAI BABA'S BEDROOM
Secondly, one of the once most prominent Sai Baba devotees and lecturers, Dr. Naresh Bhatia, was interviewed by the Daily Telegraph's Mick Brown and told how he had been a sexual partner of Sathya Sai Baba for years, and how Sai Baba had anally raped a 14 year old boy in his college. This led to Bhatia's sacking and removal from Puttaparthi after intense harassment by thugs. See a full account here.
(1) Tal Brooke, USA
(15) Neptune Chapotin USA ("15-year-old")
Further allegations were made on the Sai Petition, as can be seen here
In addition - numerous alleging sex-abused persons whose names are not given here for obvious reasons, including harassment of self and family members, the threat of possible murder (as occurred in 1993 at Prashanthi Nilayam) :-
30) Several Malaysian students (unidentified, who informed the Malaysian Organization around 1980 (confirmed to Priddy by former Sai Baba activist there, Hariram Jayaram - see letter and read his fuller account here.
31) Two younger brothers of a NRI entrepreneur (identity known but kept secret) in Australia who he immediately withdrew from the Sai College at PN when they told him (he has been in close contact with the exposé)
32) Former student whose writings are posted here under the pseudonym Raman Sharma and especially here
33) gsmpasad himself abused and knew a long list of students who were also 'form boys' for Sai Baba
34) Basava Premanand represented abused students at the Sai Colleges (see Sai Baba and his Students)
35) Testimony from a Sai Baba sexually-abused male and more from Huffington Post
36) Sex wanted by Sai Baba claim and thugs sent after refusal - on Express Buzz (India) by Linda Burton
37) Report by Barry Pittard on Polish man molested by Sai Baba and a Malaysian man oiled genitally
Testimony from persons who contacted the Sai Petition:-
38) Dilip Narain, Australia signed the petition on July 8. 2011.Period as a follower: 1979-1982 Position in S.S.Org: student Puttaparti college. "I attended his college with my 2 brothers and was abused sexually. My father handed over thousands of dollars in cash. How could his abuse of innocent children be covered up for so long?"
39) Alvaro Filippo Michelon, Italy signed the petition on April 14. 2011. Period as a follower: 1981 - 1990 "I was first molested by Sai Baba 81. But I thought it was a privilege. I'm so sorry i have lost 10 years of my life..."
40) Veronica Isacsson, Sweden signed the petition. Period as a follower: 94-03 "friends of me has been sexually abused by Baba"
41) Rosalia Malagelada de Neves, Venezuela signed the petition. Period as a follower: 1988 until 2001 Position in S.S.Org: Venezuela Comite "I knew the two cases very close of abuse"
42) Paul Throne, USA signed the petition. Period as a follower: 1988-2000 Position in S.S.Org: Center education coordinator. "Have been to see SB 4 times, 1990, 1994, 1995-96 and 1999. Despite many positive experiences, I believe too many credible accounts of abuse now exist to pretend it isn't real, including a young male friend of mine who told me SB fondled him. More frightening to me than the megalomaniac SB is his organization and its leaders. When the leaders refuse to hear these concerns or allow discussion of these events, it has become a complete mind-control cult."
43) David Juliano, USA signed the petition. "abused by Sai Baba in 1974"
44) michael smith, USA signed the petition. "I am a sexual abuse victim advocate who is concerned for all victims in the U.S."
45) Anonymous exStudent, India, signed the petition on January 1. 2008. Period as a follower: birth
"not sure when the deception hit me. I am an ex-student who knows that what is alleged is true. From friends who were abused, and from being part of the culture which has denial written all over it. I personally had a "touch and feel" experience by Sai Baba, who massaged my genital area through my clothes with his legs for 10 minutes in a bhajan session in everyone's presence - I understood later I was being "trialled". Luckily, I did not "rise" to the occassion, and was deemed "unsuitable". I chose to be anonymous because I have good friends who I would lose - I am sorry but I am being selfish - for me, the friends matter more than exposing Sai Baba. I will work very hard to ensure no one else is harmed, but in my own quiet way. [ADMIN NOTE: This student's details, kept confidential, have been verified]
Oiling of the genital area by Sathya Sai Baba has also been reported by persons involved:-
1) Jens Sethi, Germany
2) Al Rahm (father of Alaya - testified on BBC documentary)
3) Greg Gerson USA
4) Paul William Roberts (author -firstly having stated he was 'oiled on the chest')
5) Josh Kintz USA - son of Marie and Bruce Kintz (genitally oiled) plus two other friends of Sathya Purcell (unidentified) reported by Sharon Purcell
6) Troels Meyer - younger son of deceased Central Coordinator Thorbjørn & Marianne Meyer (EHV - Europe) (reported by his brother, Thomas Meyer)
7) Student aged 17, under pseudonym 'ihsb1971'
8) A Sai student posted (1/10/01) on Sathya Sai Baba Discussion Club under "A Letter I Wrote to Sai Critic" the following "... beside being "oiled" under the pretense of curing a different problem with a totally different part of my anatomy, I was saved from further sexploitation my en masse defections from the closet relatives who were Baba's choice inner circle for decades who were all victims of his sodomite behaviour. Needless to say, we were villified as usual and were labelled as opportunists. ...my own father did not believe what happened to me when it happened. Regards, Taken for a ride for 20 years and called the "chaff""
Other reports of improper (sexual) behaviour by Sathya Sai Baba are many - here are a few
1) Edvin R**r*ngs, the Netherlands
2) Anonymous Danish youth
3) 'Shamaness' report on 1999 abuse of local boy
4) Gerald Joe Moreno, USA
SUICIDE, SEX AND THE GURU
The reputation of Sai Baba, a holy man to the rich and famous, has been tarnished by mysterious deaths and allegations of sexual abuse
The Times - August 27, 2001 By Dominic Kennedy
THREE DIED AFTER PUTTING THEIR FAITH IN GURU
The Times Monday August 27, 2001 Page: 3 By Dominic Kennedy
'I SOUGHT PEACE AND COULDN'T FIND IT'
The Times Monday August 27, 2001 page 3 By Michael Dynes in Durban and Dominic Kennedy
The Indian web site Express.buzz (see downloaded page here)
They allowed the following comment to be posted on an article in reply to a defender of Sathya Sai Baba:-
TO: Krishnakumar- I used to be a devotee of Sai Baba till my boyfriend was given a private meeting when he took him inside and asked him to do sexual things with him. My boy friend was shocked , he refused, came out. My boy friend is heterosexual. We both left Puttaparthi because, after that we were threatened by Sai Baba’s thugs. We were both 23 yrs old. We realized that we had to leave. So don’t live in your make believe world!!!! Wake up. I bet you are not sexually interesting, otherwise he would have tried you too.
By Linda Burton 12/26/2009 11:45:00 PM
(SEE ALSO FULLER ACCOUNTS OF THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE SEX ABUSE REPORTS AND ACCUSATIONS HERE)
Duncan M. Roads – Editor, NEXUS Magazine (see here) - wrote the following:
I had heard the many rumours about Sai Baba’s sexual impropriety over the years, and like many, dismissed them as disgruntled devotees. Later on, I actually took those attacks as ‘evidence’ that Sai Baba was growing in influence, and that this was the ’system’ attacking him.
Unlike Sai Baba believers, I have an open mind, one which allows me to read and listen to things that Sai Baba believers refuse even to allow into their consciousness. I read some of the more recent testimonies, and decided to investigate for once and for all to put an end to the rumours.
I ended up speaking to many victims, parents of victims, former Sai Baba centre ‘leaders’ and some respected ‘figureheads’ from the movement. All confirmed the same pattern of abuse and sexual misconduct.
I did not want to believe any of these testimonies, but I also had to be true to what I was uncovering. Sai Baba is, and has, been involved in sexual misconduct with boys and young men. The effects of this misconduct has caused unestimatable damage within many many families, including suicides.
Sathya Sai College: ex-student tells of awful sex culture there A valuable account to inform those who were at the colleges what others experienced. Much was unsaid about Sathya Sai Baba because of the extreme censorship, the very strong punishments that were meted out to students who talked, up to and including their death.
More untoward events at Prashanthi Nilayam - unexplained deaths, disappearances, and suicides
You can see a selected list of prominent signers of the Sai Petition here
Return to index text