Letter of resignation by a leading office-bearer in the Sathya Sai Organization plus letter from Duncan Roads, editor 'Nexus magazine'
From: "Lori Kaplowitz"
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:54:25 -0500
To: "Glen Meloy"
Subject: The original email
This is the email that
started it all....I wrote this after deep contemplation and a need to get it out
of my system and try to reach some people. Thankfully, due to this email there
are six people currently investigating and asking me questions. Many others that
were vicious and then many others that were quiet. This email was sent out to
total of 230 people, mostly NE sb devotees.
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 10:49 PM
Subject: How do you reach someone's heart?
I am writing this e-mail after much contemplation. As many of you know as of this writing I have resigned from the sai organization and no longer consider sai baba my teacher. I made this decision based on information I found out regarding improper behaviour that sai baba is engaged in. The reason I have chosen to write to you at this time is because I can no longer be silent and participate in the level of suppression that has been going on within the sai baba org.
You are good caring people, dig down into your hearts and souls and bypass your ego. It is especially important for those of you who are therapists and teachers. People that are responsible for recognizing and reporting problems when children cry out for help. Why have you turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to this situation? For those of you who do not know what is going on, I beseech you to find out by either reading the e-mail included below, contacting people that have left the org and investigating websites. [Attached to the bottom of this message is an unbiased letter from the editor of the Nexus magazine. Duncan's email address, phone number and mailing address are included as well. Please feel free to contact him if you have any questions.]
I would like to ask you to consider the following questions. Doesn't it mean anything that centers around the world have been closed? That major public sai baba officials have resigned? I also would like to ask how it is that so many people, from so many countries are saying the same thing? That so many men, not women, have committed suicide?? Did you know that the UNESCO conference, that was supposed to be sponsored in Parthi, was canceled due to these rumors as well and the sai baba org. is not reporting the facts? Doesn't it mean something that UNESCO has posted its concern and disassociation with the sai baba org.? Did you know that the new EHV school slated to open in September in Hartford, CT has shut down? Isn't it interesting that the FBI and other International orgs. are investigating sai baba? Most of all isn't it interesting that an organization that allegedly supports the principle of Help Ever, Hurt Never is basically being selfish?
The saddest thing of all is that the party line reads "think about your own experience, don't listen to this garbage because it will weaken your faith". After much contemplation I realized how hypocritical this is especially if you are to follow sb' s teachings of "love all, serve all". How can you love and serve somebody else, especially the children if you are not at least researching and asking the questions. How can you continue to bury your head in the sand, give over your personal power, because you are too afraid to rock your world. What about these children? What if any of this is true, even a little bit?? What about the children?
LETTER FROM THE EDITOR OF NEXUS MAGAZINE
Since my email has been forwarded to so many others, maybe I should clarify my position.
1) I have been involved in promoting 'new age' and 'alternative' viewpoints since my teens, during the '70s. I have run and organised many conferences, lecture tours, expos etc all promoting self awareness, natural health and caring from nature.
2) I was made aware of Sai Baba in the late seventies. I know many people who have experienced miracles in their personal lives that they attribute to Sai Baba.
3) I also know many Muslims, Christians and Hindus who have experienced similar miracles in their lives, which THEY attribute to their respective figureheads.
4) Whilst a believer in Sai Baba's miracles and teachings, I chose NOT to become a follower. I perceived that the miracles were as much a creation of the believer as of the teacher. I chose to explore the path of 'creating our own reality'.
5) I had heard the many rumours about Sai Baba's sexual impropriety over the years, and like many, dismissed them as disgruntled devotees. Later on, I actually took those attacks as 'evidence' that Sai Baba was growing in influence, and that this was the 'system' attacking him.
6) Unlike Sai Baba believers, I have an open mind, one which allows me to read and listen to things that Sai Baba believers refuse even to allow into their consciousness. I read some of the more recent testimonies, and decided to investigate for once and for all to put an end to the rumours.
7) I ended up speaking to many victims, parents of victims, former Sai Baba centre 'leaders' and some respected 'figureheads' from the movement. All confirmed the same pattern of abuse and sexual misconduct.
8) I did not want to believe any of these testimonies, but I also had to be true to what I was uncovering. Sai Baba is, and has, been involved in sexual misconduct with boys and young men. The effects of this misconduct has caused unestimatable damage within many many families, including suicides.
I only investigated the allegations of sexual misconduct. I notice there are also many who claim the miracles are faked, there are many allegations of financial fraud, and there are many dead people who were supposedly 'healed' by Sai Baba or his vibuti.
In retrospect it would be easy to point the finger and say how evil and deceptive Sai Baba truly is. But in fairness, he would be a nobody if people did not give him their respect, money, and above all - personal power.
I look forward to an age where people respect and love themselves enough to be able to truly respect and love others. People who feel GENUINE love, joy and happiness in their lives do NOT follow the path of others-they ARE their own path in its making.
Shame on Sai Baba! Shame on the parasites that feed off his empire! Shame on the 'Centre Leaders' who knowingly turn a blind eye to the reports they have received of sexual impropriety! Shame on the followers who are so insecure in themselves that they cannot open their ears to hear the cries their brothers and sisters! Shame on the sycophants who in their blind belief help perpetuate the suffering, injustice and deception that surrounds Sai Baba.
Above all, shame on those who dismiss the cries of pain from their brothers without investigation!
Duncan M. Roads
Editor, NEXUS Magazine
PO Box 30, Mapleton Qld 4560 Australia
Tel: +61 (0)7 5442 9280; Fax: +61 (0)7 5442 9381
"The nature of the universe is such that ends can never justify the means.
On the contrary, the means always determine the end."