DEFENCE OF SAI BABA SEXUAL ABUSES
THE SATHYA SAI ORGANIZATION CONDONES AN 'EXPLANATION' OF SERIOUS SEXUAL MOLESTATIONS
After the revelatory testimonies of major sex abuses by Sai Baba from 1999 on the Internet, members of the Sathya Sai Organization, including some office-bearers, circulated to many devotees a printed version of a crude rationalization of homosexual abuses on boys and young men by Sathya Sai Baba as world avatar. It was posted by a Sathya Sai Baba devotee called Ram Das Awle around 2000 at http://www.geocities.com/the_sai_critic/awle.html but the site was removed after several years on-line. Later, it was posted again on a site calling itself 'The Sai Critic' (http://www.saibaba-aclearview.com). Ram Das Awle claimed the article was inspired and blessed by Sathya Sai Baba himself! That the International Sathya Sai Organisation has not once refuted this absurdly speculative and frankly disgusting 'explanation' by a well-known devotee as to why Sathya Sai Baba sexually abused males, which was sent to many (including myself), was a major blot on its reputation, which was already in question over its civic unaccountability and failure to exercise duty of care and mandatory reporting.
Ram Das Awle admits his acceptance of the sex abuse allegations and natural confusion but then tells how he thinks he has been inspired to surmount it by his "fervid imagination". Awle admits the sexual interventions by Sathya Sai Baba were a fact and he further supported and 'explained' various of the sexual perversions for which this seeming padophile 'porn' avatar stood accused as 'spiritual healing' and control of sexual urges! Considering that a mass of evidence was available for a long time it is instructive to see the extent to which devotees were willing to blind their own minds and bend their values backward to turn moral truths upside-down to discount indisputable facts. Until 2013, the article was never refuted or criticized in public by a single Sai official or follower. The essence of Awle's standpoint is that God (understood by him to mean the person of Sathya Sai Baba) can and does legitimately do ANYTHING WHATEVER, whatever the perversion or vile act by our 'merely human' standards (the vicious anal rape of minors included).
Ram Das Awle wrote:-
A couple of weeks ago, Sai Baba took a letter
from me in darshan, thereby instructing me to open a web site, using
some material I've been writing which directly addresses the allegations
of Baba's sexual contact with devotees. He confirmed the final version
this morning with a padnamaskar. Jai Sai Ram!
The piece presents the best evidence I've found that Baba is a Poornavatar, a full incarnation of God - yet I've also taken the point of view that some of the allegations of sexual contact may indeed be true.
First of all, I believe that Sathya Sai Baba is an Avatar, a full incarnation of God - the most powerful incarnation of God ever to come to the Earth (as Anandamoyi Ma described Sai Baba). AND, from what Ive read and heard, Im inclined to think some of the allegations about Baba are probably true: it appears likely to me that He has occasionally had sexually intimate interactions with devotees. God has given me the grace to be able to see that these two ideas are not necessarily in contradiction, and I invite the world to explore that possibility with me here. As I lay in my room immersed in confusion, I suddenly heard Babas voice again:
Know that whatever I do with my devotees is always the most efficient medicine for those souls, and a gift of immeasurable grace. My actions are always a perfect expression of Divine Love, for That is what I am.
One legitimate reason for sexual contact between a Master and devotee is the removal of sexual karma from a devotees previous incarnation - and I believe this is probably the underlying reason for most of Babas tantric work. As an Avatar, Sai Baba has come only to set us free; there could be no trace of selfish or sexual desire in Him whatsoever. And yet He is perfectly capable of functioning in a sexual way, if that is the most efficient way to set us free from our karma.
Surely, if Sai Baba has interacted with any of His devotees in a sexual way, it has been only a similar gift of Love and grace - all the more so since Baba knows the misinterpretation of such actions will put His global reputation at risk. Yet He does exactly what is needed to set His devotees free, no matter what the damage might be to His reputation. To my mind, that is the mark of a truly great Master.
With my fervid imagination [ : ) ] Ive come up with seven types of people with whom a Divine Incarnation might interact in a sexual way:
1. Those who need a special dose of divine energy to awaken the Kundalini.
2. Those who have misused sexual energy in past lives, and therefore need that karma (and that pattern of behavior) removed. A friend of mine had a vision regarding one of the people who has accused Baba of sexual behavior, and saw that in a past life that soul had been the abbot of a monastery, and had used his position to sexually molest many of the new monks. My friend saw that in this lifetime, through Babas intervention, that karma had been removed, and that soul thereby freed from his destructive tendency.
3. Those who have a strong pattern of sexual desire which is creating an obstacle to their happiness and spiritual growth. It seems likely to me that through one interaction with an Avatar, a pattern of desire that has been building in the mind for lifetimes could be erased instantly, just as a computer disk full of pornographic imagery can be erased in a few seconds with a single click. When, through some grace-filled action, an Avatar removes a burden of karma and vasanas (unhealthy mental patterns) from an individual, the momentum of that souls evolution would be bound to powerfully increase; it would be like being placed on a short-cut to God-Realization. (Keep in mind, some Masters have said that even after a soul meets a true Guru, there can be as many as fifty human incarnations remaining before Self-Realization is attained, depending on the individuals karma. So a short-cut to God-Realization is no small gift! Babas intervention can literally save us from thousands of years of human suffering.).
4. Those with special health needs. The testicles are a primary source of hormonal power. Surely one touch from the Divine Hand could strengthen the life force immeasurably, ensuring a lifetime of health and vitality. Similarly, those with some form of sexual dysfunction could receive an instant healing through one touch from the Lord. (I've recently learned that Baba has, in fact, healed a number of people of impotence in exactly this way.)
5. Those who are destined to be parents to a high soul. Through one touch to the testicles, Baba could super-charge the semen with divine shakti, thereby enabling some great soul to incarnate. (Similarly, a touch to the belly of a woman could be preparing her womb for a special Divine Visitor. Imagine the lucky child, who gets his bed-womb swept by an Avatar?)
6. Those whose relationships with Divine Masters in previous lifetimes contained an element of sexuality, such as the consorts of Padmasambhava, or the Gopis and the wives of Sri Krishna. According to the palm-leaf prophecies, many of Sai Babas current devotees were His wives and devotees during His incarnation as Krishna. Perhaps Krishna gave some of His wives a promise that they could return and be intimate with Him in His next incarnation - who knows? At some point, of course, Gods grace will lift those devotees beyond all such desire, into full spiritual union, which is what Baba truly wants to give.
7. Those who have an unhealthy psychological split between sexuality and spirituality, who believe that sex is evil and separate from God, or that God sits in condemnation of our sexuality. What better way to heal that split than to receive a loving sexual touch from a Divine Incarnation?
All of these interactions would have ultimately the same effect: leading the souls involved closer to union with God.
The above is based on much speculation. Moreover, it is of note that Sai Baba has long since stated that the kundalini is 'just talk and 'big ego' to the most prominent US devotee, Dr. John Hislop, and he has allowed the republication of this time and again by his 'Sai Publications Book Trust'
Sai: Kundalini shakthi is balance in mind and action.
Hislop: But Swami, kundalini yoga is supposed to mean the kundalini power rising up the spine.
Sai: That is not real. It is just speeches. People claim this happening and boast about it. It is big ego.
Hislop: Does Swami mean that there is no kundalini power or energy that starts at the base of the spine and rises up the spine?
Sai: There is no such thing. That is just big talk and big ego.
Hislop: But Swami, how about the idea that the snake of kundalini awakens at the base of the spine and awakens each chakra as it rises up ?
Sai: That energy is prana. It is imagined as rising up the spine by the practice of pranayama. The practice of pranayama is dangerous unless all circumstances are exactly correct. It is not necessary and Swami advises against it.
From Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba by Dr. John Hislop - Copyright held by Sathya Sai Books and Publications Prashanti Nilayam, and published by Birthday Publishing Company, San Diego, CA. Page 134:
This paper is the last word in systematic, self-reproducing gullibility by indoctrinated members of what after 1999 rapidly became an exclusive cult which excluded and demonised apostates. Though Ram Das Awle claimed authorship of his article, his views were allegedly largely obtained from a pamphlet circulated by 'The Kundalini Foundation for Self-Realisation', New Delhi, founded by a certain Dr. Joshua Stone, which has a web page and branches in the UK and Holland (a promoter of the 'ascended masters' speculations). This pamphlet - and Awle's 'inspirations' spun out from it - are mere fantasy and fraudulence, designed to mislead followers of Indian 'gurus' who are known to sexually molest their followers, whether male or female. It hardly merits any systematic refutation as one must have serious cognitive and emotional problems (through severe indoctrination of a 'brain-washing' kind) to give crednce to it.
Ram Das Awle rationalises all unfortunate exposures and testified allegations against Sathya Sai Baba as "part of His Divine Plan". This is a delusion shared by many Sai Baba devotees, having met dozens who believe this during my many years as the leader of the Sathya Sai Organization in Norway. The Sai-follower, Bon Giovanni also posted enthusiastic support and praise for the views of Awle.
This "Sai Baba and Sex: A Clear View" is surely rather the "divine Incarnation" visualised "through a glass darkly". To raise pederasty and sodomy by Sathya Sai Baba to a teaching must surely be the last straw? Devotees have also circulated milder explanatory points within the Sai movement for those who cannot doubt that genital oiling and French kissing takes place, including supposedly 'raising the kundalini' or quelling young men's raging hormones, healing of malfunctions etc. The key unproven and massive assumption on which all is based is seeing Sathya Sai Baba as God Almighty Himself, who alone knows what is best for everyone, is the assumption made by Awle and most Sai Baba followers.
Salon.com's Michelle Goldberge refers to Ram Das Awle's views in the artivle 'Untouchable?' (July 2001) http://www.salon.com/2001/07/25/baba/ also http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2001/07/25/baba/index3.html